Friday, October 12, 2007

Dentures causing Airway Obstruction


 


 


A Rare Anaesthetic Experience

Col (Dr.) Krishan Kant

    I received a message one afternoon that there was a planned caesarean section the next day. I examined the patient in the evening. She was young, educated and intelligent. The pulse B.P, heart, lungs, ECG, blood chemistry and urine were WNL. There was nothing significant in the pre anaesthetic check up and she confirmed that she did not wear dentures.

    General Anaesthesia (GA) was given and the intraoperative period was uneventful. The baby cried at birth. The patient was extubated after confirming adequate respiratory effort. However, she became apneoc after extubation. The expiratory valve was closed and O2 was given under pressure. The assistant was asked to keep scoline ready, and a laryngoscope was inserted. I planned to intubate, the moment the glottis relaxed. Before scoline was injected, a small denture was seen lying on the glottis and it was also noticed that the upper two incisors were missing. The denture was removed and the patient started breathing normally. She was kept in the post operative room for two hours, and then sent back to the ward.

    Next day I went to see the patient. She was sitting up and sipping tea. I asked her the reason for giving me a wrong history, as this could have cost her life, and my reputation, both at the same time. She replied "Doctor, how could I tell you about my dentures. Even today, my husband does not know that I wear them".

    I leave the conclusion to the readers.

13th Sept. 2007.                

Col (Dr.) Krishan Kant                                

Ph: 23245464

                        

No comments:

 

www.anaesthesiawizards.blog.com

http://www.anaesthesiawizards.blog.com